Friday, May 18, 2007

Passion for Flowers


Maybe at some point I'll get tired of posting pictures of flowers, but for the moment that is my passion. And, for the passionate about flowers, there is the passionflower!

I'm excited that my vine has begun blooming once again. This is a rather late date in the year for it to begin; maybe it's all the rain and cloudy days we've been having this year, I don't know. I'm very happy to once again see these blooms greeting me at my front gate. Blooming continues sometimes as late as November.

The first passionflower I ever saw was on the walk between Linda Nagem's house and BHS. I thought then, and now, that it is the most amazingly complex and exotic-looking flower I've ever seen. When I was last in Brummana, in 2000, that very same vine was there and blooming, twenty-five years later!

4 comments:

lebanesa said...

Lovely -
what is strange is that I just ook delivery of a collection of 6 passion flowers and can't decide where to plant them. I had one here in the garden when we arrived and was so pleased to find it. BUT the slugs and snails loved it and finally this year it gave up trying to grow. They love anything delicate, pretty or perfumed.
Ours bloom from just around now until the frosts, if the slugs don't eat them.

Debi said...

That is quite a bit of coincidence, Frances! What kinds of passionflowers did you get? I've thought of "branching out" and trying some other varieties, but truly I'm afraid to tempt fate. This one is doing so well.

We don't have much trouble with slugs here, too dry. But I have read in gardening circles about beer bait. Have you tried that?

Rima said...

what an amazing picture of such a wondrous flower - very nice work. My girls were glued to it.

Artists With Artitude said...

Debi, you have an incredible sense of color and beauty. Are you working on a photography book...hint ..hint..?