Friday, June 15, 2007

Corner of my home


Since I became an adult, every time my mom and I get together we exchange little gifts that we have saved for one another since the last time we saw each other. During last weekend's visit, Mom gave to Antigone and I one of these pods, from Australia I believe she said. I absolutely love it and never in my life have seen anything quite like it, although it does look a bit like a pine cone.

Mom, where did you get it and do you remember now what it is called?
UPDATE: A Banksia flower pod. My, my. Isn't the world an amazing place? Zillions of amazing things to see that you'd never even dream of, and the same number of things available on eBay. And for real eye-popping show-stoppers, search Banksia on flickr.com. Or simply have your heart filled with happiness clicking on these three from flickr:

6 comments:

Rima said...

Amazing! it looks like something J.K. Rowlings might have dreamed up.

Bobbie said...

I love it too. It is a Banksia pod. Check out wikipedia.org and also google for images...it is most interesting! I purchased it on Ebay from someone who was selling them for wood turning.

Artists With Artitude said...

Hi Debi, thank you soooo much for your heartfelt comments. And what a treat you offered me today. It's been a few days since I was able to check your site and I am having a blast! (oops! no pun intended). Thank you for bringing a sense of serenity to all your pictures. Anything would like from libnan??

lebanesa said...

LOVELY pics, sorry for shouting
My uncle, sadly not with us, used to use those in his woodworking - made some beautiful and interesting pieces.
Thanks for the links - stunning flowers too.

Audrey said...

Ooo. Kind of freaky. Those are the type of plant that cheesy sci fi tries to emulate. Or exaggerate. And they eat people!

Unknown said...

thanks for linking to my banksia flower! glad you like it and hope u like my others! there are many varieties and they make fascinating flowers as well as seed pods!