Thursday, August 23, 2007

Early riser


Potted geranium

Oh, so this is what a geranium bloom looks like before it has unfurled. So temporary. So lovely.

I have a meeting today that is part of a continuation of talks I've been having with my boss about the future of the company I work for, BBC (not the BBC.) I've worked for 24 years for this small company that specializes in accounting software for oil field supply stores. I do support (how do I void an accounts payable check?) and custom programming (in an old language called Cadol on Unix systems). After all those years of working 8 to 5 in a dreary office, for the past two years I have worked only part time, telecommuting from my home office. I've absolutely loved it.

But now, my boss, the sole owner, has decided it is time for him to retire effective October 1st and has been looking to me to take over.

His original offer was to sell the company to me and another long-time coworker, and even offered to let us pay him over time from the company revenues. Sounded like a good deal. Except that's not what I want to do.

I love my work -- the work part of the work -- which is helping people solve computer issues, helping them get the most from their software, making them feel that it is not the end of the world when something goes wrong. I do that pretty well and have been lucky to have some amazing relationships with clients, some of whom I've been working with since 1984.

I have no desire, though, to manage employees. I like working with my coworkers and I'm strong at taking a leadership role inside a group. But I distinctly don't want to be boss and all the headaches that entails.

Today, we will be talking about alternatives to buying the company as originally offered. My hope is that I take the software side of it, my coworker takes the hardware side of it, and together we two continue to support the customers as contract individuals or as a loose partnership. (It's all a little more complicated than this, but this is the gist.)

I'd like very much to continue to have a steady income October 1st doing what I do well. If not, I might have to finally get serious about my other sideline work: website development and custom web programming.

Or maybe it's time to do something else?

I should be scared out of my wits, but instead I'm at last relieved, after a quarter century, to be able to dream wildly. Any and all ideas you might have out there would be considered.

8 comments:

lebanesa said...

How many people work there? Could you all buy it and employ a manager?
I know what you are saying - my family are cursed with people wanting us to run things when we like doing the work, not being the boss. I'm sure you could do it, but it would add stress.
We will all have to think and wish you the right decision.

Rima said...

I once heard an interview with a guy who wrote a book called "If not now, then when?" about how people do redirect their lives after 40, and how some of the most brilliant work we do is often after that stage. It's not scientific or anything, but the concept stayed with me. Yes, if not now, then when? We've been musing in all our blogs about regret/remorse, about unfulfilled wishes and longings - and about taking risks. Like going out into the wilderness and listening to coyotes. Or jumping into a whole new way of being.

I say follow your instincts - you need the steady income, but what are your realistic prospects here? You are undeniably brilliant and creative, and obviously comfortable in delving into the unknown - but you've been in business long enough to know what is realistic in this situation and what is not. Dreaming, but not building castles in the air. Taking care of your daily needs but not killing your spirit to do it. Why, oh why did we have to grow up?

Irene said...

Rima put it so well that I can only say 'encore' and 'bis'. I am not good at helping people make up their minds about things like this, having so little work experience myself. But what Rima says, sounds sensible. I understand not wanting to have the stress of being the boss. That would not be my cup of tea either, even though I am a bossy person. lol
Maybe it really is time to get serious about your sideline and you know best if you are good enough at this. Good luck making the choice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Antigone said...

I hope the meeting goes well.

As you know, it is not fun being the boss. You are never "off", wonder where the money is going and when it will be coming, and have to deal with employees stealing your company vehicle and crashing it into another business's fence while you are trying to be on vacation. No thank you. I think you would like best just to handle the software part and still make "easy" money, as in you know that a check will be coming in. But I think you would also like to do other things too. I think selling stuff on ebay and half.com would be perfect for you. And that could be your "mad" money.

Anyways we have talked about this so much that I don't feel that I need to keep going on and on. YOU know what you want to do...

Hannah's Mom said...

Debi,

Follow your "gut". You know what it is truly you need to do... just listen and you will find it. Keeping you in our prayers (as always :)), but now this will be a little more directed.

I would love to see you sell some of your photos, just for fun of course. Dont make it a source of income, I did that and did really well, but in the midst of it all I lost the passion. I then found it again, thanks to my soul sista and well, you know ;).

Like I told Audrey, when one door closes another opens, we just have to see it.

Did any of that really help!?! :)

Artists With Artitude said...

Destiny and choice are the hardest things to grasp...More than 10 years ago, I was forced to make a choice: continue my career as a prof or do what??? I was teaching for so long, I had forgotten how to do anything else. Monetary considerations aside (incl. health benefits, etc.), I chose to leave academics and see where life takes me. In retrospect, that was a good choice. But I really empathize with you, it is a very hard decision. Just remember what Confucius (sp?) once said: “Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.” Best of luck, my dear!

Bobbie said...

We have talked about this many times over the years. Do you want to hang the moon and do something different come what may or stick with the same old safe and secure grind. Only you can answer this question in your heart. I know that whatever path you choose you are able to make it work. I can only hope that the right door opens for you. And what door would that be? The one that makes you happiest, of course!

Debi said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. Lots of good advice and encouragement.

As it turns out, now that the owner knows I'm not interested he is understandably looking to others to pick up the offer.

For me, that means I'll plod along with that work until peters out. But it has been a wake up call (the last in a series) for me. Time to get serious about something different.

If not now, when? indeed.