Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Good morning, Morning Glory


Neighbor's pride and joy

I was out on a "photo safari" the other day when a not-near neighbor's morning glories stopped me dead in my tracks. I got out of my truck, and took a picture. Then I walked a little closer and took another picture. Then I walked even closer and took another picture, with the nose of my camera just darn near in the center of the bloom. Then I heard a sweet little, "Hello?"

No, silly. It wasn't the flower talking to me. It was the owner. She didn't speak much English, but with my broken (very broken) Spanish I conveyed my adoration of her amazing glories. Before I left, she had told me how to plant them, and sent me home with a baggie full of seeds. :)

I'VE BEEN TAGGED!
Name four places you have lived.
Henrietta, Oklahoma, home of Troy Aikman.
Roswell, New Mexico, home of the "Roswell alien landing"
Derby, Kansas, home of my first love, famous only to me
Alexandria, Egypt, home of Alexander the Great. Or at least his name sake.

Four foods you like.
Homemade Salsa
Tabouleh
Pizza with almost all cheese, little sauce
Fresh fruit -- whatever is in season -- strawberries, nectarines, cherries, pomegranates, you name it.

Four places you have been on vacation
Brummana, Lebanon for my high school reunion
Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico camping when I was a kid
San Francisco, California, just my husband and I -- a nice kidless vacation
Chihuahua, Mexico -- just three days, but they were wonderful

Four places you would rather be.
New Mexico
New Mexico
New Mexico
New Mexico.
(It's been on my mind a lot lately. Far, but not too far.)

If you haven't already been tagged, I tag:
Antigone, Audrey, Frances, Rima, Neda, Nelda, Donna (yes you Donna), Irene, Beverley, Sarmad and Linda, and Windy. All my favorites :)

9 comments:

Artists With Artitude said...

Tagged?! Oh no..I'll have to come up with real good answers. Thanks for thinking about me..

At first, I thought the pic depicted the inside of a blue tent with you looking up and taking a snapshot of the sun peeking through the tear at the top...Morning Glory is such an appropriate name! Amazing wonder..you wanderer LOL!!Missed ya!

lebanesa said...

Beautiful picture Debi.
good idea to tag everyone so we get all the gen - LOL

Bobbie said...

I can never see these beauties without thinking about my mom. She always grew them along with hollyhocks and these two always survived and thrived the next year. Mom used to say in the fall that she could hear the blue jay's calling her "Taos, Taos, Taos". For those that don't know it is a wonderful place in New Mexico, a place where the artists like to be in the plein air.

Irene said...

I love the name Morning Glory and I wish it was mine. Then everyone would say, "Good morning Glory." I have been tagged and answered all the questions and passed it on.Thank you!

Rima said...

See how unbotanical my beloved sister is? Morning glories are some of my favourite flowers, there are so few such beautiful blue ones. Amazing photograph. And I did write my post tonight about the 4 things tag, even came up with an illustration. Thanks for that!

Bobbie said...

Put back the bed bugs! I love them!

lebanesa said...

I noticed they had gone - didn't Audrey like it?

Bev said...

I thought it was an abstract painting of a star at first. Amazing you get such perfect geometrical shapes in nature.

Donna C said...

I'VE BEEN TAGGED!
Name four places you have lived.
Lubbock Texas – born, raised, and returned.

Monty Vista Colorado – Spanish meaning Mountain View. This is where I learned from my father how to survive. He was a voluntary fireman and went on numerous search and rescues in the mountains. He would come home and tell us what had happened, what they did right, and what they did wrong.

North Padre Island Texas – I lived there long enough to experience a tropical storm. What could be worse than a tornado? Seventy mile an hour winds, inches of rain, and only one way out – with a tornado.

Buffalo New York – I stayed long enough to get a degree. I missed the sun, the sound of a mourning dove, and thunderstorms.

Four foods you like.
I can’t even name four I don’t like.

Four places you have been on vacation
Rocky Mountains – New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming
Padre Island – made me want to live there and go to another island.
Jamaica – a different world. It took me a while to figure out that they were speaking English.
Niagara Falls – one word “awesome”

Four places you would rather be.
Right now – nowhere.