Saturday, March 17, 2007

Rethinking the Vegetable Garden


I'm rethinking my vegetable garden. I've had a garden with raised rows for a while now and over time have become unhappy with the inefficient use of space. Basically, the way it has been, I can only plant a single row of plants because of the inclined sides. Additionally, I miscalculated the amount of space needed to walk comfortably between the rows. I'm too clumsy for this arrangement, what with the narrow paths and inclined beds.

So, beginning today, I'm trying these 4' x 8' beds with a 4' path all around them. My plan is each weekend to build, install, and plant one bed. I'll go this year with six beds in the interior of the plot, and if it works well, I have left room to expand around.

Sitting here tonight, dirt under my fingernails and sure-to-be sore muscles, my concern is now how to effectively keep the paths weeded. Almost any mulching will work, except against the one thing I'm sure to have plenty of: Bermuda grass. Arg. The bane of my (organic) gardening world.

Note to self: need to buy a sharp hoe.

1 comment:

ZanBarrage said...

Hi Debi,

When I lived in Texas we used to use a sort of black burlap to cover the growing ground and just cut a slit where we were going to plant a seed or starter plant. The burlap thingy (can't remember the name) lets water in, but keeps the moisture in the ground so on those hot Texas summer days the plants are happy to get the moisture in the ground. It is also an excellent anti-weed-er. Might want to try it!