Sunday, March 18, 2007

Bringing the outside in


It was a beautiful weekend here, warm but not too warm, sunny but not too sunny. Just right weather for spending outdoors, which is exactly what I did. I got the new vegetable bed planted, as planned, with Porter tomatoes and onions. I'll call it my "Glenn bed." Glenn was my neighbor across the street who loved to grow vegetables more than just about any one I ever knew. He passed away a couple of years ago, and his wife gave me all his seeds. Thousands of seeds that he had deemed "juicy" "big" "sweet" (his labels) and saved year after year from his own garden. It was a fabulous gift to me and it's only right that my first vegetable planting after his passing should be in his honor, with his seeds. Let's hope they grow for me!

This weekend I also did a little pruning. Those "weedy" elm branches were so lovely I decided to bring them indoors to enjoy a bit longer. The observant will also recognize the BHS 125th anniversary poster in the background.

A quick google search on "porter tomatoes" resulted in this information. Glenn especially loved homemade tomato juice, so no wonder he saved seeds from his Porter successes:
Porter is a tomato variety originally introduced by Porter & Sons Seed Company of Texas, that is especially suited for the conditions of the Texan climate. This lovely little tomato variety produce a great abundance of deep red colored, smooth, plum shaped tomatoes with a tender skin. Each fruit weighs from 2-4 ounces, is blemish free and posesses an exceptionally sweet flavor. Porter is especially ideal for use in canning, sauces and for making tomato juice. Resistant to drought, cracking and sunburn, which makes it an ideal tomato for the hottest of climates! Excells even in high humidity! Porter is an excellent choice for growing in containers. Indeterminate with regular leaves. Matures in about 65-80 days from transplant.

No comments: