Monday, April 09, 2007

Pincushion with no pins


I'm working hard at work this week, and rather than take my normal leisurely lunch hour with my daughter and granddaughter, I've secluded myself to my home office. After a quick bite, though, I could not resist at least a walk around the block. With camera.

Growing right across the street in the bar ditch, I found a patch of these beauties, Pincushion Daisy, aka Fragrant or Rayless Gaillardia, aka Perfume Ball. Its definitive latin name is Gaillardia suavis.

I love that macro setting on my camera. Doesn't this specimen knock your eyes out with its bold shape and depth of color?

BONUS photo:
Yesterday I also featured this same species in my Photo A Day, in a more zoomed-out view. But what I didn't show you, from that same area, was a photo of this one below. I have since learned from our local flora and fauna expert, Burr Williams at the Sibley Nature Center in Midland, that this plant has a case of "fasciation." In its own ribboned and twisted way, I find it just as beautiful.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

that's so weird looking.