Monday, May 21, 2007

Green acres


Back view of my house. Yes, I have a really big, and currently
very empty, greenhouse.

Today I went out to check on the Jujube trees I planted in my "back 40" -- what I call the empty back quarter acre of my place. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's a jungle back there, all those weeds and wildflowers greedily soaking up the nearly 10 inches of rain we've had so far this year. Normally at this time of year we are at 3 inches, and many years we get 10 inches for the whole year. My neighbor tells me rain is in the forecast again for the next few days. I wonder, should I start gathering two of every animal?

3 comments:

Bobbie said...

I can't believe this. The last time I saw your back 40 it was as dry as the Sahara, now it is a veritable jungle!

Donna C said...

You speak of the "back 40" - you know that folks in New York do not understand "back 40". Their land was layed out by "meet and bounds" (meaning "from that rock to that tree") not Sections as Texas is.

Lisa said...

We have what we call our "back 40" too. It's separated by a fence (about 4 acres) and our dog Phoenix gets to play out there every day. We ask him if he wants to go out to the "back 40". And please send some of your rain out here! We are at a 10+ inch deficit!