Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Bedroom "Art" After


Homemade Bedroom Art

So, this is what I came up with, not terribly creative, but just right for what I was hoping to accomplish. First I was looking to replace that bland art. Beyond that, I wanted something soothing and repetitive. Something almost abstract but not quite.

Later, I'll also hang some black floating shelves I have and put on them some little white vases from Ikea. But, as you can see, I really need a helper to hang straight so I'll wait to do that until later.

Originally I was going to make the frames myself, but you really need man-tools, and all I had was a jigsaw. Then I remembered I had these Ikea shadow boxes. I confess that the terribly not straight black background is backboard that I cut imperfectly with my jigsaw and painted black. It does at least give it a little depth. However, next time -- and that's another beauty of these, I can easily change them out whenever I want -- I will do better, or at least do more and pick the best cut ones.

The middle piece of each one is a drawing I made with a Sharpie that I hoped brought something organic (and making it slightly more original) to the flanking sides.



7 comments:

Rima said...

How very lovely. I feel a daintiness, an orderliness, but not in a constrictive way. It's more of a serene, profound kind of order. Love it. What a contrast to the "personalities" series, eh, Debi?
Is it ok to comment on the previous posts here? I loooove the box, I'm stealing the idea for the little tornadoes in my house. And I fell in love with the door, and the colours in the composition. Anonymous bile notwithstanding. :-)

Debi said...

Hello Rima! "Orderliness"...I like that. I was going for the soothing, orderly effect. Yes, very different from the Personality Ladies.

I'm glad you are stealing the idea for the boxes/luggage. It's the kind of thing that every kid/tornado should have to tote around treasures. Heck, THIS big kid has a hankering for one. ha

Bobbie said...

I love the After Art! I don't know what I was expecting, but not this. So cool and relaxing. Just makes me want to lay down and dream a few soothing dreams.

lebanesa said...

It is just so elegant!
Debi - you are one gifted lady.
I love the way the collection fits in the same space and somehow echoes what you had before, retains a kind of echo of the Chinese calm.
How do you do these things?
Anyhow nice birthday present... hope you get more and have a lovely visit with your Mom.

Audrey said...

Ooooo neat. I like it.

Audrey said...

Mom, the more I look at these, the more I love them. I'm sad to hear you say they aren't creative. You created them, didn't you? ;) I love that they each seem to represent a type of serenity. Nature, The Sea and Home. It's very appropriate for your bedroom. Like a wish above your head to dream about lovely things. Mmm... I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it. And even more sleepy thinking about sleeping on your bed with Cleo laying on me..... mmmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

I just looked at the top one (left one on the wall) and I feel like that guy in the Twilight Zone episode who gazes at the serene landscape painting in a museum and eventually is absorbed into it. I've always been a comic and line art fan and for me, the blending of the three panels has wonderfully calming, mesmerizing effect. The more I look at it, the more I realize why I love the outdoors, and why I love simple things. Such talent.