Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Birthday Garden Lantern


Audrey and I did something a little different for our birthdays this year. Since our birthdays are so close together -- but we are far apart -- we did a kind of wash, agreeing on a spending limit and picked out something for ourselves.

This Asian garden lantern is what Audrey gave me. (As well as with a contribution of thrift money from my mom.) Isn't it perfection? Not only will it remind me of Audrey, but it will remind me of my birthday trip to East Texas to see my mom and brother.

Behind the lantern, in the box, is another purchase while there: a new passion flower vine. I bought one for me, Antigone, and Mom. It is different from my Passiflora caerulea, but I am hoping it will be as successful! It is a Passiflora incarnata, "Incense." This is what it will look like in bloom.

4 comments:

lebanesa said...

Great garden feature
beautiful flower.
Reminds me I have to plant out my passionflower plants - with attention to shelter - you don't have the problem of frosts, do you?

Bobbie said...

I love this little lantern and thank you again for my passion flower. I haven't gotten it planted yet, but will for sure this weekend. I love this flower and it has many happy memories tied up in it.

Audrey said...

Oh that's cute mom! Looks very peaceful. I think it will look great in your flower garden. When are you going to start that, do you think? Happy Birthday!

Debi said...

Frances, we do get freezes here, but typically are short-lived. Year before last we had an extra long freeze and my passion flower appeared to die and broke my heart. Early Spring I cut back all the dead vines and in no time at all it revived from the still-living trunk. Amazed the fire out of me!

Mom, you better give your vine plenty of space to grow -- I think you have the perfect conditions there for it.

Audrey, I haven't even started the dream flower garden over the septic tank yet. But you are right, the lantern would look best there. In the meantime, I think I'll put it in the vegetable garden.