Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Hikaru Dorodango

I have never in my life seen or heard of such a thing a Hikaru Dorodango, but I'm amazed at their beauty! Basically, they are mud balls, formed by hand, dried slowly, then polished to a high sheen. Supposedly anyone can do it. Indeed, it is a pastime of kids in Japan.

Be prepared to be astounded when you look at New Mexican Bruce Garnder's dorodango site. And here's another (this one rather unattractive site) that has pictures showing the process. And, as always, there is flickr as a wonderful visual source for anything fun.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

That's really interesting. Seems really relaxing. (or really frustrating!) I'd like to try it out... but the instructions were hard for me to follow. It didn't consistently explain what you should be looking or feeling for. Are you wanting to try too?

Bobbie said...

I've seen these somewhere before but had no idea of how they were formed. How interesting!

Debi said...

Yes, I would love to try it myself. I found several batches of instructions on the 'net.

Do you have a source for dirt, Audrey? When shall we try it?

lebanesa said...

Wow!
I got dizzy just reading the instructions. What kind of dirt? Or does he really mean clay?
So beautiful though, really tempting to try, it's been years since I made mud balls and threw them at my friend... many years - I think I was 3 years old.