Monday, August 27, 2007

Datura


Curled Datura flower before fading

Wasn't there some discussion recently about the sacred datura? Well, imagine my surprise yesterday morning while going to get a newspaper when I spied that a near neighbor had, not one, but two big specimens growing in their yard. I need to buddy up to that neighbor sometime between now and when that seed pod below ripens.

Anyone have any experience growing daturas?

P.S. No pictures of Audrey today. She is spending time with her Dad's side of the family right now. She'll be staying with me the second half of the week.

6 comments:

Rima said...

Strange and beautiful. The flower looks like a velvet creation rather than a real one. Amazing

Artists With Artitude said...

At first I thought it was some rolled up fabric flower! The wonders of nature never cease to amaze me..And Debi, even if I had one of those daturas, I wouldn't have ever noticed. Pretty soon, I will have to inspect my backyard and OPEN my eyes :)

lebanesa said...

They are really popular here - because they are so weird - enormous and exotic looking - I think they call some of them Jungle Bells.
Just take care, as you have animals and a grandchild, that you avoid the highly poisonous ones. You might be able to take the high, but a baby wouldn't.

Bobbie said...

They are easy to grow from seed, starting in a pot. Yes, they would be especially poisonous to children if one decided to chew on it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Antigone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Antigone said...

It was I who deleted their comment, didn't want any one to see my horrible spelling accident. ha.

Wow, I thought it was a fabric or paper flower too. Very beautiful - but of course would be poisonous, sheeze!

I love the layout of photos and text too. You will have to show me how you did it.