Monday, August 27, 2007

Digital Art Workshop # 3


Rima's Digital Art Workshop #3, "51 Percent Water"

When Rima posts these assignments, I promise to schedule some free time for them. Instead, I frequently do as I did tonight: I think I'll work for "just a little while" before bed and then end up staying up until midnight because I get an idea that I just have to see through to the end.

Rima, the bags under my eyes tomorrow are all yours. ;)

What I did:
  • Used magic wand to select the woman from the original image, refining my selections by using the shift (+) or the alt (-) keys.
  • Opened a new canvas and moved the selection (not the image, just the selection) to it.
  • Used rectangle to select and copy the water from the original image.
  • Pasted that into the new image, using paste into, and used free transform to size it like I wanted.
  • Created a new layer for the words.
  • Then flattened image.
  • Selected the white space on the new image (now I'm in reverse of the woman and words)
  • Copied some more water from the original image
  • Pasted it into the new image so it now surrounds the woman and words, and again used free transform to stretch it to fit.
  • Somewhere in there I tweaked the colors of the two waters in order to fade the woman water and saturate the sea water.
  • I also think I changed the layer intensity on the words so that where they overlapped the woman they were more intense, but where they overlapped the white canvas (at that time), they were lighter.
  • Oh yeah, I also googled the percentage of water in humans. Surprisingly, woman have less than men.
I'm loving paste into.

4 comments:

lebanesa said...

ooh clever. I am going to try your method, I did so many different things to try and remove the lady and just have sea - yours looks pretty near what I was trying to do. Like it it is so humorous. What is the other 49% though? I think we should be told.

Bobbie said...

Debi, I love what you did with this swimmer. You took this image and made it your own in every way. Beautiful work.

Frances, the other 49% is guts, pure guts!

Rima said...

you're teaching me so much! i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this beautiful thing (i just woke up and stumbled over to my laptop, so not very articulate yet).

I'm going to try and retrace your steps - this is very, very amazing.

And now in addition to creating brushes, i want to have a post about extracting (i'm still learning that one too) - somewhat easier that magic wand

sue o'kieffe has a great tutorial on layers as well

don't stay up late to do your homework anymore, you're at the head of the class already anyway!

lebanesa said...

Love Bobbie's reply.
Clever clever lady