Saturday, December 01, 2007

December's Experiment: This or That

As most of you know, I have been doing this blog for almost a year now, and launched it as a way to learn more about photography and to improve my skills. For December, I could use your help in upping the ante.

I'm not entirely why I chose December (of all months!) to do this, but I am going to post not one, but two pictures a day. I'd like to try different angles of the same or similar things, or some mini-themes, maybe look into some different tweaks using Photoshop. By comparing two photos, I hope to challenge myself to think more critically.

I'll wait until the end of the month to do my normal calendar. The calendar will be the pictures you chose in your comments as the photograph most of you thought was the better one, resulting in a calendar of the Best of This or That. I'm certain I will learn a lot from this experiment by listening to your opinions.

So please "vote" your choice by leaving a comment. It would be helpful to me to hear something about why you selected the photograph you did, but even if you don't have time to explain why, I would still like to know your preference. I look forward to having fun with this and hope you continue to enjoy being part of my inspiration.

8 comments:

Bobbie said...

Oh fun! I'll be "voting" for sure. I love all your works, but some just speak to me louder than others. Enjoyed talking to you yesterday, sorry it was so short. New computer came yesterday too and so you know what I will be doing today!

Bev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bev said...

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog and think it is first class. However, if pushed I will say the cranes which were magnificent, but a lot of people will say that, so I will say the pumpkin bump t-shirt, which was highly original and creative displayed all your painterly skills.

Bev said...

Praising things properly does not come naturally to me, as a function of my background and culture, so cross out 'first class', which I think sounds a bit detached, and substitute 'awesome'! Everything is so good on these blogs I sometimes find it hard work!

Irene said...

I would be more than happy to participate in this exercise. I am looking forward to it very much. More pictures for us to look at! Fun!

Artists With Artitude said...

How many ways can you think of pushing yourself even more? This is the sign of a true artist, Debi. I have enjoyed your blog so much and every time you post a new picture, I always go: "Ahhh! That Debi is something else!". And here you are, pushing the envelope a bit more (a lot more). I say that as long as you are enjoying doing 1 or 2 or 3, go ahead (we are the primary beneficiaries of your incredible talent). You don't have to commit to a strict regimen everyday; maybe have a dedicated day(s) in the week -- let's say Fridays-- when you post the dual photos...just a thought. Wonderful though!

Rima said...

I just read Neda's comment - and I do agree with everything she says. Especially the part about a once-a-week this or that. I think it might be stressful in the long run for you to come up with this every day - just a thought.

Debi said...

Mom, I know what you mean about some photos speaking louder than others. I have the same experience with my *own* photos.

Bev, thank you so much for the compliments. I have so thoroughly enjoyed your blog that it makes me very happy you enjoy mine. And you made me laugh just now -- it is sometimes hard work to be complimentary without sounding like a goof-ball, which I frequently do anyway.

Irene, I love your unique point of view and am always glad to read your comments.

Neda, you are right -- this is pushing myself a bit and I may be very sorry when it's just days before Christmas. I know myself, though, and if I don't push I don't do. I like your idea of a weekly This or That and might consider it after the December experiment is complete.

Rima, after this, a mere Photo A Day will seem like a snap! ha