Friday, August 17, 2007

Color TV...Goodie!


Westerner Motel on 2nd Street, Odessa, Texas

There are getting to be fewer and fewer of these old motels, with their 50s style graphics and Southwestern flair. I love them (yet do not particularly want to stay in one in their present condition), but will miss them when they are all gone. Wish I had been interested in photography for a long time and had documented the ones that were here but are gone now. They had so much personality.

Speaking of personality (notice how I did that?) here's a link to take a free (no registration) test to determine your MBTI personality type, a professional personality typing system based originally on Jung's work. There are 72 questions. Don't spend too long thinking about the answer. Your first gut reaction is probably best.

And once you know your type, my favorite site about the different types can be found by beginning here at a summary the 16 MBTI personality types. The first time I read about my type, I almost fell out of my chair. All this craziness that is me is a type? My therapist once said she used typing when she was doing marriage counseling because it enabled her to get to the heart of the conflict quickly.

No matter how many times I've taken the test, on all sorts of sites, I always come up as an ENFP. And the test site above gives my strength of each letter as:
  • slightly expressed extravert
  • slightly expressed intuitive personality
  • very expressed feeling personality
  • very expressed perceiving personality
What being an ENFP means most to me is that it's OK to be me. I can improve, but at the core I'm always going to have a basic approach to life that is most natural to me, and certain improvements will be a huge struggle, going against my grain. I'll always be enthusiastic about ideas and new things, disorganized (because I bore quickly), and genuinely interested in people, but with an equal need for alone time. I'm also going to be a tad gushing, sometimes too open for others who are more conservative, a bit of a skimmer of theories, and immersed in living in the moment, ignoring too frequently the adhering to or making of long-term plans.

Typing is an absolutely eye-opening tool for couples and for parents. (Do remember though they say typing young people is less accurate.) Reading about all the types, and in particular the types of your loved ones, you will gain a deeper understanding of the gifts they bring. And it's a little easier to forgive them their quirks that drive you crazy.

And, even better sometimes, to forgive yourself your own quirks.

I would love to know what your personality type is, should you care to share.

17 comments:

Hannah's Mom said...

Hey there girly!! :) I had to take this test my first semester in College. I need to retake and see if I have changed. I will have to look up and see what I once was. Oh this will be fun!! ;)
Have a fabulous day!!

Hannah's Mom said...

Gosh darn it!! I haven't changed!! :) I am a ENFJ. One of my career choices is in education and one of the others is psychology, both fields I am getting into, so that is good. This was fun, I am going to go look at the other link now. :)

Hannah's Mom said...

ENFJ
Popular and sensitive, with outstanding people skills. Externally focused, with real concern for how others think and feel. Usually dislike being alone. They see everything from the human angle, and dislike impersonal analysis. Very effective at managing people issues, and leading group discussions. Interested in serving others, and probably place the needs of others over their own needs.


Then clicking on the other link on that page... It said it, plain as day, Giver! Ok, so that is me in a nut shell. :) I really love it and hope I never change!! :)

Hannah's Mom said...

One more post and then I will stop!! :) Sorry Debi, taking up all this space.

I too love the old motels... The town next to us has several, so this weekend Hannah and I will take a little photo safari and show ya.

Love ya Soul Sista!!
Talk to you later.

Bev said...

Great to see a picture of a Motel. As an English person who has never been to America, the only ideas I have got about Motels are ones which I have got from watching films, including, dare I say it, 'Pyscho'! But this one looks cheery and folksy and one in which I would definitely like to stay.

Rima said...

How fascinating! Both the motel and the personality test (see how I did that? hehe)
Even after all these years of studying the subject matter, I've never given much thought to personality testing. I did go and take the test and was impressed, especially since my results were so interesting.

I turned out to be INFJ, or a Counselor Idealist, whose career options are the ones I had already chosen for myself: the first one on the Jungian Career List is Literature/Writer (part of what I'm doing now, yay); then there's Humanities (check); counselling and psychology (check but unfulfilled yet).

Plus I'm in the illustrious company of Ghandi, Jane Goodall, Sidney Poitier and Jung himself. I am thus a:
- moderately expressed introvert
- distinctively expressed intuitive personality
- distinctively expressed feeling personality
- slightly expressed judging personality

And you know what, for once, I actually agree with this assessment. I'm also psychic apparently, which my daughters readily believe since I can read their minds.

lebanesa said...

Haven't looked at this yet, but I think a friend sent me the thing earlier this year - it sounds familiar. I'll come back on if I have a moment tomorrow - I am tired!

lebanesa said...

E22 N50 F75 J 11
slightly expressed extravert
moderately expressed intuitive personality
distinctively expressed feeling personality
slightly expressed judging personality

Rima said...

Bobbie?

Bobbie said...

Debi, love the old motels too. They are fast going by the wayside, sort of like the old barns I remember.

Rima, You're not going to believe it: I am INFJ too :)
distinctively expressed introvert
distinctively expressed intuitive
moderately expressed feeling
lightly expressed judging

And no matter how many times I take this test, I turn out the same too. We are who we are.

Audrey said...

I swear... every time I take that test anymore, I get different answers.

I used to consistantly get ENFP, but not anymore. I took the one you put a link to and I got INFJ (which is different from anything I've gotten before).

I thought it was because I was used to the test... but this test had different questions... and I still got a different result. I'm not sure what to go by anymore. I know I'm not an ENFP. Idealist, yes. But not a Champion. Now that I'm looking more at the counselor it doesn't sound like me at all...

WHO AM I?! ;)

Rima said...

Yay! I'm so happy that Bobbie and I are so alike. Now if I can manage to obtain half your good humour, vitality and extraordinary love of life, I would be so dang happy.

Not surprisingly, I share some features with Frances too.

Irene said...

I couldn't help but take the test after everybody else had. I am an ISTJ, which means introverted, sensing, thinking and judging.

very expressed introvert personality
moderately expressed sensing personality
distinctively expressed thinking personality
very expressed judging personality

I can't believe how introverted and judging I am. It is probably right though, I have no reason to doubt the outcome of this. Learn something new every day!

Irene said...

Here is a description of my personality type, that makes me feel a lot better!
ISTJ
Serious and quiet, interested in security and peaceful living. Extremely thorough, responsible, and dependable. Well-developed powers of concentration. Usually interested in supporting and promoting traditions and establishments. Well-organized and hard working, they work steadily towards identified goals. They can usually accomplish any task once they have set their mind to it.

Irene said...

By the way, I love the motel and I have always enjoyed being on the road and staying in seedy looking places like this, as long as they were clean that is. To bad they are all disappearing now.

Artists With Artitude said...

I thought I would have the same profile as Irene but I got INFP: 78% introverted (very true)..Didn't real thoroughly everything (still in jetlag mode)..INFPs "never seem to lose their sense of wonder" and they "live in a rich inner world..." HmmJackie O, Richard Gere, Audrey Hepburn...Double hummm. Now is there a pill I can take so I will be more sociable?? Great photo . Love to be back among the dreamers and doers, y'all!

Antigone said...

ISTJ

I don't remember what I have been in the past but this sounds about right, the opposite of my mother and sister, ha.

- distinctively expressed introvert
- distinctively expressed sensing personality
- distinctively expressed thinking personality
- very expressed judging
personality

This is me to the T, well almost. I try to be an on time person but darn it, its just in my genes to be late.

Some famous ISTJ's: Pres George W Bush (not surprised) and Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Fun very fun but being an ISTJ, I will not think too much about it. "Just the facts ma'am."