Saturday, August 18, 2007

Swinging moon


Moon swinging on electric wires

I know this isn't a good picture, except in concept. One day I am going to learn how to take pictures in low light situations. I suspect it will take a tripod and manually adjusting the shutter speed.

The other night I was driving home when the moon caught my eye ("like a big pizza pie, that's amore"). It looked like it was taking a leisurely swing on the sagging electric wires. I stopped right there in the middle of the road to take its picture. And only two cars had to wait for me to finish. ;)

This reminds me, does anyone watch the regular nights of shooting stars that we have at various times of the year? A few nights ago, Donna told me that it was the height of this year's Perseids Meteor Shower. This year was supposed to be really nice for it since there was no moon. So, just before midnight, I headed out west, away from the city lights. I drove a few miles, found a small road and turned onto it. I drove a little ways and then parked.

I liked being hyper alert in the darkness and alone like that. I put blanket on the ground and I laid parallel to the Milky Way. It was so quiet. Actually, not quiet but I was enveloped in different sounds, all seemingly amplified by the darkness. I heard pump jacks turning on and off. (I'm not sure why they do that, but pumping times are regulated by the Railroad Commission in Texas. It's very complicated.) I heard crickets, or some kind of droning insects. I heard a few birds calling out eerily and even thought a few times I could see black shadows pass over me. After about half an hour out there, I heard a whole pack of coyotes begin yapping and howling, setting the whole night on fire with their presence. After they stopped, I waited but they did not begin again. I howled to see if I could trick them. I didn't. (Note to self: practice coyote howl.)

Although I can only pick out the most common constellations, I had a great time looking up at the stars from my back, trying to discern the planets from the stars (stars twinkle, planets don't). When you can see a lot of stars it's also harder to see the constellations, but it's fun to finally pick them out. Laying on my back always gives me the sensation that I could fall into the sky. I am also always taken deeply by the idea that looking at the night sky I'm actually seeing the past, the very very very distant past. In the 45 minutes I was out there -- it felt longer -- I saw 11 shooting stars, four of which were spectacular with long tails and streaks that stayed in my eyes even longer.

Driving home, I felt very peaceful. I felt as though I had been brave...no, I felt as though I had been independent. And in spite of the fact that I've quoted my grandmother before as saying, "A joy isn't a joy until it's shared," I think that's not always completely true. Unless you figure you can share a joy with the Milky Way and coyotes.

Which I do.

13 comments:

lebanesa said...

Good experience, the kind of thing that fills a body with exhilaration and calm - I am so glad to know you, free one.
Hugs from here.

Hannah's Mom said...

Debi,

You just shared with us... :) Being independent is a beautiful thing. It takes a strong person to venture out alone. My mom said one time... you know you are happy being you when you can eat lunch at a restaraunt alone. :) Silly I know, but last year I did it and I knew in that moment what she meant. :)

I love how describe nature at night... the differet animals etc., what an experience!! Bravo Debi!

The Meteor showers... My Dad (worked for JPL, NASA and a few others) is an advid stars man. His telescope actually has a hookup for my camera and one of these days we are going to have to try that. So my dad and I were outside about 1:30 am watching, I think he said he counted 17 shooting stars. Just amazing!!

Have a fabulous day!

Bobbie said...

I am proud that you can do these things that you enjoy without fear. It is one of my wishes for you that came true.

lebanesa said...

And the picture is beautiful anyhow, because it shows something we see often and always feel stirred, that sky colour and the darkness of the trees, velvety textures and peaceful excitement.

Rima said...

What a wonderful photographer you are. Hope you don't get tired of hearing that. What a lovely, awesome picture (awesome in the old sense). I first thought it was a bird perched on the wire - what a serendipitous shot! (I also use my favourite words infrequently too, Audrey :-> )

I envy your bravery - I've always been afraid of the dark, even now, I don't like to be out on the road late at night. Let alone in nature. Although I have to admit, one of my most indelible memories was hearing loons overhead at some remote Quebec lake. It was like nothing else I'd heard before, and I long to hear it again.

I think I would have run as fast and as far as I could, after hearing the coyotes! You are made of tempered steel! Marshmallow, magic fairy dust, and steel, that's you, Debi-Jane Cates-Goodall.

and you're a terrific writer too, I don't say that enough.

Irene said...

You are very brave to go out in the night like that by yourself and to lie down on a blanket in the wilderness with coyotes howling and pump jacks going. What are pump jacks anyway? Shooting stars are miraculous aren't they? I hope you wished on many of them. I don't see the night sky often enough here in town. I hardly ever see the moon, let alone the stars, but I used to love the moon, so big and silver looking over the Sonoma valley. I wish I had been out there with you that night. We could have smoked a cigarette together to calm our nerves, or my nerves!

Hannah's Mom said...

Bobbie,

It gives me goose bumps... to see a dream for your dear daughter come true. :) You are such a wonderful and strong family of women. I just want to reach out and give you a job, but instead I will have to give you a big BRAVO Bobbie!!

Antigone said...

I love the picture of the moon. And am very happy that you are finding that again you like to be independent. I will always cherish those moments before I left home that we redecorated my room and were full of she-power.

Debi said...

I'm so glad you all enjoyed my "night out" with me. And for all you afraid of the dark, come with me next time. We'll master it together.

Can you imagine if we did, all of us together? We could all practice our coyote howls! Women Who Run with the Wolves indeed.

And Mom, I can't begin to tell you how many strengths that came to me through you. From your heart straight into mine.

ZanBarrage said...

The moon shot is very funny and well done. I like it alot!

Now about those meteorite showers, I would love to see them, but up here in the big city it is very hard to do so. All you see is orange skies! When we lived in Winnipeg (our gulag days) we could see the aurora borealis around this time too. Now that is an erie site!

Rima said...

We should do it here in Ontario - my friend went to a park where the rangers track wolf packs, and when the moment is right, they call to them, and the wolves answer back. I think they may even come to have a look see.

I can do that as long as there are park rangers. And Irene's husband with his swiss army knife.

Irene said...

It's a good thing that my husband and his swiss army knife are turning out to be so popular with the women. I'll let him know how this has improved his chances when alone on a desert island or when listening to coyotes howl in the middle of the night. He has lots of other handy tools also that I could tell you about.

Lisa said...

Debi, you've been doing some fabulous writing lately. I enjoyed this.