Tuesday, August 14, 2007

If You Gave a Mouse a Cookie


Color test

Have you ever noticed that even small home improvements are like the children's book If You Gave a Mouse a Cookie? You start with one little thing and end up doing a dozen things.

That's the way it is with my bathroom. For Audrey and David's arrival in less than two weeks, I wanted to do a couple of little things in the bathroom, starting with texturing the raw sheet-rock ceiling (that has been that way for more than a year).

Then after texturing the ceiling I see the walls need a facelift as well, and have begun filling in holes, smoothing bumps, and re-texturing them, too. Of course then the whole thing needs paint now, and if I'm painting I may as well replace the toilet paper fixture, the light switch plate, the shower curtain rod. Well, it could go on forever (provided I had the money to fund it).

You see, that's what happens if you give a mouse a cookie. He'll need a glass of milk. And if he has a glass of milk, he'll need a napkin. I forget how the story ends, but the mouse ends up drawing, taking a nap, and getting a new haircut even.

Back to my bathroom. Above is my color test, selected to match the homemade curtains on the right. I painted the medicine cabinet and have decided I would prefer the blue paint on the walls and the trim white, not the other way around (which means repainting the medicine cabinet now). It's a very small bathroom and I am terrible about selecting wall colors, but I decided my inclination to always go all white is too timid and am throwing caution to the wind, painting it a color my grandmother would have called "Mexican blue." I may end up hating it, but by golly I'm going to give it a try.

I can always go back later and paint over it. With white.

8 comments:

Hannah's Mom said...

Hi Debi!! I love the curtain, the print, the color, and the pom poms at the bottom. I have an idea... our bathroom is no bigger than a closet, no lie, and we painted a dark color on the wall. I wouldnt think that bathroom could get any smaller, but the dark paint did just that. Could you paint all the walls white and paint the wall with the medicine cabinet with that blue, then paint the mirror white? Just an idea. :)

I am the mouse in that book. That is one of the things I have been really working hard on... finishing and being happy with what I have done. lol

I cant wait to see what you do... it is going to be great I am sure! I LOVE blues and greens...arent they in the same color family. ;)

Rima said...

I don't think you'll hate for at least 2 years. By then, it would be time to repaint anyway. Or move :-)

lebanesa said...

Looks great to me, know what u mean, tho. If you redecorate one bit, the next looks tatty and old - We are slowly working up from the ground floor, but by the time we reach the top floor I'm sure the ground floor will look bad again... life, eh?

Rima said...

A-propos reading material:
http://www.wisebread.com/have-style-not-a-lifestyle

(Amazingly resourceful Bobbie turned me on to this website)

and there's an "it" missing in my previous post

Also, I forgot to clarify that I love this blue - it's also very greek, or mediterranean. It doesn't age badly, really.

Bev said...

A fresh and clean colour, very calming for wallowing in the bath. I like the pattern on the curtains, those flowers are very lively, and provide a fitting contrast to the calming blue.

Bobbie said...

As grandma would say "That blue is to die for!" I do love that shade too and admire your bravery in including more of it. You know, it is only paint. It can be repainted later if you tire of it. I don't know the Mouse Cookie story, but I live it every day. :) tee hee.

Irene said...

Yes, definitely the Mexican blue on the walls and then the medicine cabinet white. I think it will be lovely and so cozy to have a bath in. My, you do have lots of energy! You don't happen to be a young person, do you? I could use one of those around here to paint the base boards. Ha, I'll end up having to do those myself and not in a nice color like Mexican blue either. Good job, kid!

Debi said...

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Windy, I love your idea of painting only one wall of the room because it is so small. I may indeed give that a try.

Rima, I hope you are right about this aging beautifully, because I do not plan to paint or (God forbid) move in, gulp, two years. I'm not sure I'll even be done with the bathroom by then!

Oh, Rima & Mom (Bobbie) I love that link. It's so true. I definitely have a life, and I have a little style, but I do not have anything nearing a lifestyle, Diderot or no Diderot. Now I know why: I can't afford it.

Frances, if I'm ever stranded on a deserted island I'd like you to be there with me. You have such an accepting attitude about life. Do you know how to open coconuts with a rock? Cuz that would be handy too.

Irene, I'm no spring chicken. I'm 48 and after spending time texturing the ceiling my body cries out, "Lose weight! Quit smoking! Hire a handy man, for pity's sake!"