Monday, August 13, 2007

New butterfly


Gray Hairstreak, Strymon melinus

After I planted the new flower bed, I almost instantly got new butterflies. Well, a new species of butterly, this Gray Hairstreak. Doesn't its gray make a nice contrast with the fuchsia of the flowers? And I love the striped antenna!

Windy asked me for pointers on how to get close ups. I really wish I had some cool techniques to share. As it turns out, I only set the camera to macro setting and get up close, press the focus button, and hope for the best. I usually take quite a few shots of the same thing, because at the macro setting even a slight movement (either my own or a breeze blowing the subject) will cause blurring. Also, I'm not afraid to get down on my knees, butt in the air, whatever.

While most of my best shots are of flowers and bugs, I've also had some fun shots (the straws come to mind) by using the macro setting on the oddball subject. It almost never ceases to amaze me how interesting even the most ordinary things can look when you focus on them up close and exclusively.

Not necessarily specific to macro photography, I did think of one other thing I do, sometimes with good results. If what I want to focus on is not in the little square in the center, I will put it in the center, hold down the shutter button to force a focus, and while keeping the shutter button held down (keeping that focus), then move my camera to frame the shot how I wanted.

And the other pointer for photography I try to adhere to religiously: take your camera with you everywhere you go. Even when you are just going outside to water the flower bed.

7 comments:

lebanesa said...

so delicate - you are a whizz with the camera.

Unknown said...

i figured it was time to say hello...i am here from rima's. your photography and willingness to explore is quite delightful. i love all three of your versions of rima's challenge. the collage doll is wonderful!
~sue

Rima said...

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear this picture was doctored. Debi, you're amazing.

Oh, and btw, if Sue says you done good - my friend, you've arrived...

Hannah's Mom said...

Amazing photo... I love how you can see every detail. Fabulous!!

Bobbie said...

I think too that one must have good sharp eyes and the ability to hold still while pressing the button to prevent blurring. Also a good lens and the right equipment..e.g. macro all helps. I love your pictures, Debi, and it gives me such joy to see you making these wonderful images.

Irene said...

Hi Debi, what sort of camera do you have? We need to get a new one and I am interested in what you have, You make some great shots.

Debi said...

Thank you Frances. You should see the ones I delete, which are hundreds.

Hello Sue! I've watched you from afar as well. Your mandalas are heavenly. One of my most favorites is "Grace." What a visionary eye you have!

Mom (Bobbie), you know it makes me happy that you are enjoying these pictures. Not a day goes by that I don't think of you when I take them.

Irene, I use a Panasonic DMC-FZ5, a most generous gift from my kind and amazing mother.