Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Star Light's favorite


Okra slice

Besides Rosa's Cafe, one of the things my daughter Star Light misses most about "back home," is okra, specifically fried okra. These pictures were taken from her sister Star Bright's vegetable garden. You have to be a diligent gardener, otherwise the quickly-growing pods grow woody and impossible to eat and sometimes even to slice. (The above slice is an example of one too tough to eat.)

Okra was brought to North America by the African slaves and is common dining fare in the southern part of the US. It has a gorgeous large bloom, and you can probably tell by looking that it is part of the hibiscus family.

Our taking a tour of Star Bright's garden the last day Star Light was here is one of my fond memories of her visit. I hope she is having a great first day at her new position at her job. Go Star Light!

7 comments:

Rima said...

My, that's one giant okra (pod? what's it called?). I love okra too, but I prefer mine stewed with tomatoes, Lebanese- or Louisiana-style, yummmmmm.

nelda said...

I'm with Audrey - I like okra prepared just about any way possible. I have been known to eat almost a whole jar (small jar, of course HA)of pickled okra and have even eaten it raw. Probably my favorite is fried, but I don't turn it down anytime. Good picture - and thanks for pointing out that it is in the hybiscus family - you are so smart!

Antigone said...

I love okra too, anyway you slice it. And like Nelda, love pickled okra!

And it is so easy to grow. Did anyone see the little ant crawling on the flower? It seems that ants love the flowers. Every time that I have grown okra, the ants have a feast.

Bobbie said...

How coincidental that I had okra for supper tonight, then came to your blog. I've taken to frying it plain, no cornmeal or flour in olive oil. It is wonderful. Your photo of okra is wonderful too, you can even see all the tiny hairs.

Irene said...

At first I thought you were holding a jewel, then I read that it was a vegetable. I have never had okra, so that is one pleasure I haven't shared with you guys. Now I must try that some day. Next time I am in Texas when I visit my daughter maybe?

Artists With Artitude said...

I will never eat okra again without thinking about your incredible picture!Wow!

Artists With Artitude said...

Irene, okra is gombo/lady's fingers in Dutch, I think!